The Finance Department effectively and efficiently delivers comprehensive financial services, protects the town’s resources and safeguards the fiscal integrity of the town. Our highly skilled team utilizes an innovative approach to inspire trust and support for our community.
The Finance Department is committed to providing timely, accurate, clear and complete information and support to other town departments, citizens, and the community at large all while operating in a spirit of excellence, integrity and dedication.
The finance office is responsible for the fiscal needs of the Town of Wallace through six divisions; Accounting, Budgeting, Business Registration, Beer and Wine License, Payroll, Purchasing, Central Collections and Audit Reporting.
We provide professional management and research assistance on issues related to financial management, productivity and the effective and efficient use of Town funds.
This office assists in long-range fiscal planning, the forecast of revenues and expenditures and development of capital budgets for the Town.
ContactShameshia Fennell, Finance Officer
Accounts Payable is responsible for processing payments to vendors for goods and services provided to the Town.
All who conduct or solicit business within the town limits of Wallace are required to obtain a license annually. All licenses must be renewed by Jun 30th each year. A license merely allows the Town to know who is conducting business in the Town and ensures that certain zoning guidelines are met. As well, the information obtained provides our Fire and Police Departments with vital data to better server you and your company.
Business Registration Application
$25.00 Fee + Beer/Wine Fee if applicable
Cost of Beer/Wine
Beer on Premises: $15.00
Beer off Premises: $5.00
Wine on Premises: $15.00
Wine off Premises: $10.00
The Town of Wallace Tax Administration is dedicated to constantly serve the citizens with the utmost respect, an outstanding level of service, and to provide quality information.
We are committed to billing and collecting revenue on all taxable property located in the Town of Wallace as governed by the North Carolina General Statutes. This department is obligated to collect all outstanding taxes using whatever remedies are available under the general statutes.
Our constant endeavor is open communication, high working standards and always a commitment of equity to our citizens.
Tax Rate Schedule
Tax Rate: The tax rate for all property located in the Town of Wallace city limits is $0.62 for every $100 valuation.
Revaluation Schedule: Duplin County conducts a revaluation of all real property at least once every eight years. The next county-wide reappraisal will be conducted effective January 1, 2021.
Tax Billing: Tax bills are mailed out in July every year.
Tax Bill Due Date: Tax bills are due on September 1 every year. If payments are received or postmarked by August 31, a 2% discount is applied to the payment.
Interest: 2% Interest is applied to unpaid tax bills paid after January 5th of each tax year. For each subsequent month, 0.75% interest will be applied to unpaid tax bills.
ContactChris Martin, Tax Administrator
Through the Town Budget…The Mayor and Town Council determine the level of funding for Town operations and services, as well as funding for capital projects. The Town budget is adopted annually for the fiscal year beginning July 1 through June 30 in accordance with North Carolina General Statutes (G.S. 159-13), which require that the budget be balanced. In other words, total expenditures cannot exceed the amount of revenues and appropriated fund balance.
By State Statute…The proposed budget must be delivered to the Mayor and Council no later than June 1st and adopted before July 1st. Budget workshops are held during May and June, and a public hearing is held so citizens can voice their questions and concerns about the proposed budget.
Copies…Of the Approved Budget are available online for review or you may view a copy at the Town Clerk’s office at Town Hall, 316 East Murray Street, or at the Public Library on Main Street. The newly adopted budget will be ready on or about July 1 of each year.
The Budget Process…Begins in January when Finance staff prepares the Budget Manual, which gives departments guidance on submitting their requests. Finance then holds training sessions to provide additional guidance and assistance to key staff. In addition, members of the Finance staff are assigned as department liaisons to assist with budget preparation, answer questions, and help solve any problems arising during the process. Once all requests are submitted to Finance, reviewed, and entered into the Town’s financial system, the Town Manager, Finance Director, and department liaisons meet with each department and division to discuss their needs. Revenue projections are also prepared, which determine how many of the departments’ requests can be funded and how much must be cut from the budget. Once all decisions are made, Finance staff prepares the budget book and provides copies to Council and the Town Manager. Copies are also provided for public viewing in the Town Clerk’s Office and the Thelma Dingus Bryant Library.
Utility Accounts & Billing
A NON-REFUNDABLE new account fee is required. Office hours are Monday- Friday from 8:00am-5pm. A drop box is available for after-hour payments and all bills are due by the 10th of each month. Payments received after 5:00pm will be credited the next business day. A late fee of $50.00 is added to your account if payments are not in the office by 5:00pm on the 15th of each month, service may be disconnected. A monthly sanitation charge and storm charge may be added to your bill. All fees are subject to change.
If Application is competed by 3:00pm water can be turned on the same day.
- Rental agreement or closing statement from purchase
- Social Security Card, W2, or Current tax
- Driver’s License
- Completed application
- Pay New Water Application Fee
- $60.00 In Town Residential
- $100.00 In Town Commercial
- $120.00 Out of Town Residential
- $200.00 Out of Town Commercial
- Billing: 25th
- Due Date: 10th
- Past Due 16th $50 Late Fee Added(Forgive one every 12 months)
- Shut Off Water: 20th
- Leak Adjustments 2 every 12 months (Turn in receipts from repair)
- No shut off month of hurricane
- Our Online Utility Payment System allows you to pay for water, sewer and garbage collection over the computer using your Visa, Mastercard or American Express. There is no fee for this service.
- Our Bank Draft Service automatically deducts the amount of your utility bill on the 10th of each month from your checking or savings account. You will continue to receive a monthly statement. There is no charge for this service. Each month it will save you time, a check and postage; and it eliminates the worry of being late with your payment.
- Pay in person if you choose at the collection window at the Wallace Town Hall at 316 East Murray St. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Account number is needed.
- A utility bill mail slot is located inside of the Wallace Town Hall building at the Finance Office door. This service is for use with checks only. Your cancelled check is your receipt.
- Call the Utility Payment System at 855-985-1123 24-hours a day. There is no fee for this service.
Utility services are subject to disconnection for nonpayment beyond the due date. Re-connection will only be made upon the payment of the past due amount, including late penalties and nonpayment fees. If you cannot pay your bill by the due date, it may be possible to make payment arrangements by contacting the Wallace Town Hall at 910-285-4136.
Yard Wast Pick-Up
- Big Trash/Bulk Goods
First Thursday of February, May, August & November
- Picnic Shelter Rental: $25.00
- Campbell Center Birthday Party/Special Event Rental $150.00 (plus a refundable $50.00 deposit)
- In Town:
$37.00 per child (for each additional child in the same family – $18.50)
- Out of Town:
$50.00 per child (for each additional child in the same family – $25.00)
- Daily Pass: $5.00 (covers ages 13 and up)
- Weekend Pass: $10.00 (covers family of 4)
- Monthly Pass: $20.00 (covers a family of 4) Yearly Pass – $45.00 (covers a family of 4)
- Yearly Pass: $45.00 (covers a family of 4)
- Copies/Print Jobs:
Black & White $.25 a page
Colored – $.50 a page
- Double sided:
Black & White – $ .40 a page
Double sided – Colored $.90 a page
1ST page $2.00
each page thereafter $1.00 each
Per page $1.00
- Notary: $5.00 per signature
- Overdue Fines: $.10 per book per day Passport
- Application: $ 35.00
$.15 an inch, minimum amount – $1.00
Used Books & Magazines – varies from $.25 to $1.00
- Business Registration: $25 A Year
- Police Report Copies: $4.00
- Planning & Zoning:
Fees are calculated for each job by Planning Director