While many people think that problems can be immediately resolved by a visit from one of our officers, there is often a due process that must take place to achieve compliance.
- Problem identified (through citizen complaint or officer detection)
- Certified letter sent to property owner detailing Town ordinance violation
- Up to 30 days are given to the property owner to respond to the letter
- After that time has elapsed, a second inspection is conducted on the property
- If the property is not brought into compliance, the Town may:
- issue civil penalties with each day being a separate offense or
- complete the work and bill the property owner as per the fee schedule.
A similar process is involved for structures that are abandoned or structurally unsound. However, those require action by Town Council before the structure can be demolished.